Census Stories

Pick a story from below to get started

Home Ownership

This story analyses data on home ownership and renting; how local and national figures have changed over the decade. Despite a general shift towards renting, 73% of households in Dorset were owner occupied in 2011.

Read the full story

Religion

Dorset continues to remain a largely Christian county despite a quarter of the population stating that they have no religion. This story looks at the religious profile of the residents of Dorset.

Read the full story

Main Language

For 6,634 residents in Dorset, English is not their first language. This story looks at the main languages spoken in Dorset and where they are concentrated.

Read the full story

Older People

The latest census shows one in four of Dorset’s residents are aged 65 and over. This means in 2011 104,145 residents of the county were aged 65 and over, an increase of almost 14% from 2001.

Read the full story

Health

The Census of Population 2011 included a question on the individual’s perception of their health, "How is your health in general?" Respondents were asked to rate their health as ‘very good’, ‘good’, ‘fair’, ‘bad’ or ‘very bad’.

Read the full story

Country of Birth

In 2011 5.6 per cent (23,157) of the usual resident population of Dorset were born outside the UK. The national figure for England and Wales was 13.4 per cent (7.5 million).

Read the full story

Language | Main Language and proficiency in English in Dorset

98.3% of Dorset’s residents aged 3 and over have recorded English as their main language in the 2011 Census. This contrasts with a figure of 92% for England and Wales. For 6,634 residents in Dorset, English is not their first language. Where English is not the main language spoken 78 other languages feature across the County as resident’s main language, some in very small numbers.

Where English is not the main language spoken, Polish is recorded with the next highest number 1,457 in Dorset, followed by German 429, all other Chinese 344 and Nepalese 292.

Residents with Polish as their main language are distributed across the County, however, concentrations exist in Melcombe Regis in Weymouth and also in North Dorset particularly the wards of Gillingham, Motcombe and Ham, Shaftesbury Grosvenor and Milton.

Residents with German as their main language are also distributed across the County, with small concentrations based around wards with military establishments.

Residents with Nepalese as their main language are highly concentrated in and around Blandford Military Camp where the Gurkhas and their families are based.

Residents with ‘all other Chinese’ as their main language are concentrated in relatively small numbers in Weymouth town centre and in wards with Private educational establishments.

Where English is not recorded as the resident’s main language, levels of proficiency in English are relatively high with 85% of those residents speaking English either very well or well. The other 15% either cannot speak English well or at all.

Of those in England who do not have English as their main language (or English and Welsh in Wales), 79% could speak English very well or well, not quite as high as the figure for Dorset (85%).

The second most reported main language nationally after (English or English & Welsh in Wales) was Polish (one per cent, 546,000), followed by Panjabi (half of one per cent, 273,000) and Urdu (half of one per cent, 269,000). In contrast to the national picture Panjabi and Urdu are the main languages for only sixty people in Dorset.

For more information please contact:

Nicola Dench
(01305) 224069 / n.dench@dorsetcc.gov.uk

Source: 2001 & 2011 Census, Office for National Statistics